Warragul VIC 3280
This role of the Secretary is to support toe CEO in ensuring the smooth function of the Management Committee.
The Secretary is responsible for:
- Ensuring meetings are effectively organised and minuted
- Maintaining effective records and administration
- Upholding the legal requirements of governing documents, charity law, company law etc. (where relevant).
- Community and correspondence
It is important to note that although the Secretary ensures that these responsibilities are met, much of the work may be delegated to staff or volunteers.
Given these responsibilities, the Secretary often acts as an information and reference point for the CEO and other committee members: clarifying past practice and decisions; confirming legal requirements; and retrieving relevant documentation.
The responsibilities of the Secretary of a Management Committee are outlined below:
Ensuring meetings are effectively organised and minuted.
- Liaising with the CEO and Treasurer to plan meetings.
- Receiving agenda items from committee members
- Circulating agendas and reports
- Taking minutes (unless there is a minutes secretary)
- Circulating approved minutes
- Checking that agreed actions are carried out.
Communication and correspondence
- Responding to all committee correspondence
- Filing all committee correspondence received and copies of replies sent
- Keeping a record of any of the organisation’s publications (e.g. leaflets or newsletters)
- Reporting the activities of the organisation and future programmes to members, the press and the public.
- Preparing a report of the organisation’s activities for the year, for the Annual General Meeting.